Monday, May 26, 2008

Transition into IT Security blog



Today, a close friend of mine, mentioned something that intrigues me. He mentioned about final goal, and I am trying to relate this to my blog. He mentioned that when it comes to blogging, even a personal blog, there should be some kind of directions. It seems to me that I should chart and decorate my blog with some kind of theme. It still a personal blog, but with a theme. The only theme that I could think of right now, is on anime or security. Well, watching anime is my hobby while IT security is what I do for a living.

Well, I have decided that IT Security would be it. I am also learning on this area, thus this blog would be some kind of record of my learning curve. It will be a blog where I will try to share my knowledge in this area with all. I am not hoping that someone will learn from it, just that when I wrote it down, it will stuck better in my head.

An early note, many people tend to confuse on what is IT Security. When asked, many straight away associate it with common tools such as anti-virus, firewall etc. Well, this is just wrong.

If you want your house to be a secure place where you hide your most precious possession, you would want it to be perhaps a secret, with a proper mechanism that would stop unauthorized person from entering the premise, allowing only you to enter your home at any time you want, in the same manner you have always accessed your home. Whenever a bad guy try to enter your premise, you are able to stop him, and if the intruder still managed to get into and out, you have the police to help you to try and track and catch this intruder.

When I talk about IT Security, it boils down to the same picture. You are keeping your most valuable secret in a system, hopefully a secret to anybody else, having proper mechanism to track and stop unauthorized person from entering the system, allowing only you to enter the system at any time you want, in the same manner you have always accessed the system. Whenever a bad guy try to enter your premise, you are able to stop him, and if the intruder still managed to get into and out, you have the enforcement agency to help you to try and track and catch this intruder.

This is what IT Security is all about. In short, it is to try to provide a platform or an environment where with proper policy and enforcement, allows you to become confident in doing things and saving your valuable data in that environment. Off course with that understanding, anti-virus, anti-malware, honey-pot, firewall would become useful tools in achieving that objective.

No comments: